CARS leads long-term, comprehensive training and technical assistance (TTA) centers on prevention initiatives across California and, more recently, nationwide.
Our systematic approach to TTA is built on decades of experience in the prevention field. We begin with a consultation in order to understand the organization or grantee’s need and their current capacity for addressing it. We also determine what form the training should take: webinars, individualized TA, onsite training, regional or cross-site events, online courses, etc. TTA is then delivered by one of our training consultants, and includes either materials from our extensive library of products or customized materials that are problem- and site-specific. With all our TTA projects, our goal is to create interactive, engaging experiences that promote evidence-based prevention practice and foster learning communities.
We specialize in working with organizations that serve children, youth, and young adults, to provide TTA on mental health promotion, substance abuse prevention, and violence prevention. Some specific areas on which we have conducted TTA include:
- Community college student mental health
- Safe and supportive schools
- Collaboration between school-based and community-based systems of care
- Mentoring and peer-to-peer resources
- Environmental prevention
- Professional competencies such as program sustainability
- Evaluation and meeting funder reporting requirements
- Social marketing and engaging communities
- Cultural and linguistic competence, including tribal communities, racial and ethnic groups, LGBTQ populations, veterans and military families, and transitional age foster youth
- Health disparities and CLAS standards